Share This

Share |

Friday, June 11, 2010

Barnes and Noble June 4th, 2010




I can not recall a time recently other then the week of my wedding last year that I felt this excited. I had a conversation with my husband over coffee recently and told him besides our wedding and the day I was born of course, that The Barnes and Noble Signing Event was right up with the best days of my life. He reminded me that I have said that a lot this year. I guess I have had some pretty good luck the past couple of years.

Last Friday was my FIRST (hopefully not my last) Book Signing at Barnes and Noble in Tampa, Florida. It was 7:05 PM and I looked at my husband and said, "If no one shows up tonight can you buy a couple boxes of books so they will invite us back?" As soon as I said that he proudly smiled down to me and told me to turn around. So I did and for the next two hours I happily signed away and met many new friends.

I took it all in for the first 5 minutes of the signing. Maybe there was a reason why I had a few minutes before people started to filter in my section. I loved the smell of Barnes and Noble when you open their heavy wooden doors. I was elated to see the table set up right in the front of the store with all my books perfectly placed on it. There was about twenty chairs set up around the table for all the special guests to sit and enjoy their new read. Above me hung the timeless book jackets and portraits of famous authors of our life time.

There was so much excitement and joy running wild within that at one point I looked down at the acknowledgement page in my book where my name was printed and was stumped with what to do next. I forgot for a brief second that I needed to sign the book. I sort of giggled inside and thought if anyone could read my mind they would fall over in embarrassment for me. I felt numb briefly. The feeling was, "Wow, is this really happening for me and my book." I held back the tears all evening until I saw the face of one of one my sister's oldest friends from Chicago. It felt like I was looking into my sister's eyes. She hugged me and she told me how proud she was while her sons were hugging each one of my legs. I told her if we continue this conversation you better bring a box of tissues for me. Later at the Post Book Bash at our new home we all celebrated with all the children stripping down to their underwear jumping into the pool. There was actual waves forming down at the deep end. I loved hearing all the laughter at 11 o'clock at night. Far beyond everyone's bedtime for those under 10 years of age. The last guest left at 2AM.

I made some fantastic contacts that night. A Chief Oncologist Pediatric Doctor sent his wife (he was sick) from a local Children's Hospital to purchase my book as well as a therapist from LifeSpan Therapy. But the best part of the evening was having Merrel Dickey, The Director of Library Development from The University of South Florida ask if I would want to have Maurice's Daughter in their Special Collection Department (www.lib.usf.edu). Now my body was going into shock. I couldn't even say the words to my mother on the phone later. I had to wait a couple of days until the emotion left the back of my throat.

What I want to be is very clear with the next chapter of this book. Being accepted into Barnes and Noble is the right direction that my publisher and I wanted my book to take. My motivation is not the monetary rewards with Maurice's Daughter. What I am really excited for is whether it's Barnes and Noble, or the next book store chain, a doctor, another hospice group and or hospital to carry my book by giving it a solid platform to help others in time of need.

I always knew I would be involved with public service. I have been in Education for the past 15 years. I never knew that the service would stem from the hardest and most difficult time in my life. I am moved beyond words by how the "Powers to Be" let me give hope and light to someone's darkest hour. What I know for sure is that the greatest gift I can give someone else now is my book. When I began to write MD I knew I wanted to create a soft and gentle approach to loss. A tool for anyone of any age, race, or religion to use so they could escape the cloud of grief. Though, I am not saying that this book will erase all the pain. My greatest hope is that it subsides the pain and lets the reader learn how to live with loss and give them hope.

For the second time in my life with book signings I forgot my favorite pen!

2 comments:

  1. Galina!! i just loved reading your blog!! wonderful idea... and it made me feel as though i was there... miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Galina,
    What a powerful blog! Your words of service are so true. You will continue to achieve genuine success, the kind of slow and powerful success that you can believe!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete